Your CV Cover Letter Can Get Your CV Read
CV Cover Letter Example
The cover letter accompanying your CV or resume is your first and best opportunity to make a good impression on your potential employer.
Points to consider:
- Use good quality white or cream paper
- Use a standard font such as Times Roman
- Odd colors or unusual fonts are unacceptable
- Use block format
- Your address, phone number and e-mail should be at the top right of the page
- Put the date on your letter
- The name and title of your contact, and their business address comes next aligned on the left
- Keep the letter on a business footing
- Correct business salutation is “Dear Mr. Smith:”, not “To whom it may concern”, or “Dear Ed.”
- Keep your letter brief and to the point
- It’s not necessary to repeat specific information in the letter that is in your CV, although it is helpful to mention your experience as it pertains to the wording of the job ad you are answering
- Business people are busy people, and appreciate an applicant who can be brief and precise
- Mention the position for which you are applying and where you saw it (newspaper ad, on-line job posting, etc.)
- Mention your willingness to come in for a personal interview
- Sign your name in blue or black ink only
- Proofread, proofread, proofread! If possible, have someone else read your letter. If this isn’t possible, read your letter out loud.
CV Letter Example
Your Phone Number
Dear Mr. Smith
I read with interest your ad in the Daily Sentinel for the position of Marketing Director for ABC Corporation. As a result, I am submitting my CV for your consideration.
My twelve years of experience in the sales and marketing arena have prepared me for the next step as director. My experience has included working with graphic designers and media outlets, as well as with copy-writers and management. I believe that I have much to offer ABC Corporation, and look forward to the opportunity to sit down and discuss the position with you personally.
Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
Why not read our guide on making sure you have a good CV ?
- Business Ideas - Get a Van
- First Job, First Day
- What is National Insurance
- Coping with a Boring Job
- Guide to Commission Only Jobs
- A Guide to Jobs for School Leavers
- Working in the UK
- Saturday Jobs
- Being Made Redundant
- Interview Tips
- A Good CV
- Temporary Jobs
- Help Finding the Right Career
- Writing a CV
- Writing a Cover Letter for a CV